Thinking About a New Scope? Think Big!
From the Obsessed
Testimonials and Awards
Just some of the scads of comments we receive from our truly Obsessed customers. When you own the best, it's nearly impossible not to become this enthusiastic and proud. Why settle for anything less?
Use the menu to the right to view comments by aperture.
WATCHING THE SKY AT Bruneau Dunes State Park
Boise Astronomical Society and the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation joined forces to establish a public observatory in Bruneau Dunes State Park. This Observatory houses a 25-inch Obsession equipped with an CCD camera. The 25 ton building rotates 360 degrees in four minutes on a 30 foot diameter track.
The 25-inch telescope at the Bruneau Dunes Observatory, broken down for winter, is now ready for a new season. "If you've ever looked through a telescope and had a minute to ponder it" says park ranger Kevin Meyer,"it's not like anything you've ever seen before. I know why they call this telescope 'The Obsession'". As one of the largest publicly available telescopes in the West, the park expects 2 to 3 thousand visitors this year. The observatory is located 60 miles east of Boise, Idaho and is funded by the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation. Photo by Katherine Jones, text by Susan Whaley/The Idaho Statesman, March 12, 2000
Vance P, 20 inch owner in Regina, Saskatchewan, CANADA says
"I wanted to personally let you know that I discovered a new comet (C/2001 Q2) this weekend at the Saskatchewan Summer Star Party with my 20" (#703). I found it Friday night by accident when I while I was attempting to find M1. I'll be posting an email to the Obsessionuser group tomorrow to let the Obsession world know too. Alan Dyer (Sky & Telescope writer) was at the star party and spent a good 3 hours at my telescope looking at various objects on Friday night before I found the comet. Alan has submitted a small article to Sky and Telescope and will probably be doing an article in the Nov/Dec SkyNews and the RASC Journal. This is truly an awesome scope under dark skies since I had no trouble finding Jones 1 without an O-III and I let Alan Dyer try out the scope and find the Crescent Nebula. The Veil simple the most incredible! I'm sure at least 80 people stopped by for a peek through "the big one". Alan Dyer made reference to the 20" Obsession at least 10 times in his presentations at the star party since he was so impressed by it the night before. Saturday night, he found me before I even had the telescope set up.."
- "Indeed this genre of Newtonian reflector should probably be called "Kriegerians"
rather than Dobsonians to indicate their true origin."
Star Ware by Phil Harrington
- "Men in line were practically weeping."
- "They almost had to shoot me off the ladder."
- "Be the star of the star party."
- "I've owned more than 20 scopes and the Obsession is the best telescope I have ever owned"
- "Satisfaction. Contentment. Sheer bliss!"
- "My 25-inch has been the best form of therapy."
- "I was so happy I cried all the way home"
- "Mindblowing!" · "I'm tickled to death"
- "Gasmic Observing--I'm in love!"
- "M13 almost knocked me off the ladder."
- "The AstroPhysics™ of reflectors."
- "Like seeing things for the first time."
- "Buying an Obsession was the best thing I ever did!"
- "M42 was a religious experience!"
- "A dream come true--I had an eyegasm!"
- "There will be a little less astrophotography done around here."
- "I'm bloated with photons!" · "I could see the snoot in the Horsehead!"
- "It's become an organ of my body."
- "I tremble with excitement."
- "Awesome--I can't thank you enough."
- "It performs beyond my expectations"
- "Superb design and workmanship!"
- "It not only exceeded my expectations, it overwhelmed them!"
- "2 stars in the Ring (M57), I'm still recovering!"
- "Dave Kriege is an artist!"
- "Observing with an Obsession is observing rediscovered."
- "This is the telescope I should have bought in the first place."
- "The ease of one-person set-up cannot be matched."
- "If I don't hear "WOW" when they look into the eyepiece, then I know something is wrong."
- "We were hand guiding using 600 power"
- "Obsessions are the standard by which others are judged."
- "My dreams came into view!"
- "Try Direct Vision--you'll get used to it."
- "The Best!"
- "Last night while observing in LMC, I went over 10,000 unique log entries since I started loggin in 1988. I raised a glass of champagne to toast the heavens and my scope."